Section Chief: TBD
Section Supervisor: Dan Barr
- Phone: (608) 265-7987
- E-mail: email@example.com
WVDL Pathologists: Dr. Kathleen Deering, Dr. Phil Bochsler, Dr. Lorelei Clarke, Dr. Betsy Elsmo, Dr. Jaimie Miller, Dr. Holly Taylor (Barron)
Pathology Contact: Pathologist on duty (please call 608-262-5432)
The Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (WVDL) offers high-quality surgical biopsy services with fast turn-around time. For biopsy mailer boxes, shipped to your clinic free of charge:
1. Use the following form WVDL Veterinary Supplies Order Form.pdf
2. Choose Biopsy Submission Kit on the form. Specify preference of two small or one large-size container(s) per biopsy kit.
3. Submit request via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (608-416-1539).
Contact WVDL Madison at 608-262-5432 or Toll free 800-608-8387 in Wisconsin
Free ground shipping of your biopsy specimens to WVDL is handled by United Parcel Service (UPS) for your convenience. UPS generally provides next-day delivery of your biopsies to WVDL, which improves the turnaround time for biopsy results.
Check HERE to see estimated transit times for UPS ground shipping.
- Typical turnaround time for biopsy reporting is two working days after receipt of the sample. Extra time may be needed for cases with special stains (e.g., for microbes) or decalcification (bone, teeth).
- FREE biopsy mailing kits are available from WVDL, and include: Pre-addressed, prepaid mailing box, with either one 120 ml formalin vial for large biopsies, or two 30 ml vials for small biopsies (Please specify which formalin container you would like). Zip-lock bag to contain formalin vial(s). Biopsy submission form. Upon request, a micro-screen cassette to protect small or fragile biopsies.
- Submission forms can also be filled out electronically and printed from our web site.
Submission forms are available under ‘Submission Guidelines ⇒ Forms’ on the front page of website.
Please use the following submission forms as appropriate:
- Biopsy Submission Form: For formalin-fixed tissues only
- General Submission Form: For necropsy cases or fresh and fixed tissues; also use for insurance claim cases
- Forensic Exam Form: For legal or forensic necropsy (NOT insurance claim cases). Please note submitter restrictions on form.
- Fish Disease Diagnostics Submission Form: For aquatic pathology cases.
Veterinary Student Externship Opportunities
The WVDL offers a limited number of spots for fourth year veterinary student externs. The goal of these two-week externships, offered all year long, is to give veterinary students experience in a high-volume diagnostic pathology setting. Externs will gain skills in performing necropsies, choosing appropriate ancillary tests, and writing gross necropsy reports. Additionally, students will be exposed to other diagnostic sections (bacteriology, virology, TSE) and to histopathology through rounds and case reviews. Interested students should contact Dr. Elsmo (Betsy.Elsmo@WVDL.wisc.edu) for further information and availability.