Necropsy and Biopsy Fee Structure Changes
This new fee structure aims to simplify necropsy and biopsy fees and also to better reflect the amount of time, effort, and under-the-cap testing included in those fees. Companion animal fees will see an increase of 20% this year, and we anticipate a 20% increase in these fees in 2021 and 2022 as well, in order to more closely align those fees with the in-lab costs for a typical necropsy case.
We understand that price increases change your cost of doing business. The WVDL’s necropsy service is essential and it remains a great value to your practice and clients.
The new fee structure goes into effect on July 1, 2020 and will be reflected on August invoices. Necropsy fees include the accession fee and all routine in-house testing excepting serology. Referral testing fees are NOT included.
Production Animal Necropsy
- Any age: bovine sheep, goat, cervid, llama, alpaca, pig, mink, poultry, commercial fish – $126.39
Non Production Animal Necropsy (Note: no change to disposal or special procedure fees. Retain + 50% surcharge for out-of-state submissions.)
- Any age: dog, cat, horse, pocket pet, pet bird, zoo animal, wildlife
- 0-5 lb – $151.67; 5-100 lb – $224.59; 100-500 lb – $333.79; >500 lb – $435.96
- Any species, one animal – $106.82
Surgical Biopsy – Histopathology
- First site (anatomical location)* – $65.14
- Each additional site – $25.00
*Up to three skin punches considered one anatomical site. Up to three endoscopic biopsies per organ considered one anatomical site. Note: Fixed tissues from deceased animals will be considered a bottle necropsy.
Multiple animals per submission:
- For mammals, up to three fetuses/neonates from the same litter may be included under one necropsy fee. Tissues will be pooled at pathologists’ discretion. Additional fees may apply.
- For poultry from commercial flocks (NOTE: Premise ID required), up to five birds from the same age/group may be included under one necropsy fee. Tissues will be pooled by pathologists’ discretion. Additional fees may apply.
- For commercial fisheries, up to five animals from the same age/group may be included under one necropsy fee. Tissues will be pooled at pathologists’ discretion. Additional fees may apply.
Research Requests: The fee structure above does not apply. Routine WVDL diagnostic patholog services do not include research studies. Research studies may be possible to arrange with individual WVDL pathologists on a case by case basis, as part of scholarly activity, with the expectation of co-authorship on peer reviewed scientific publications.