LPAI Testing for Wisconsin Poultry Producers and Interstate Movement to Iowa
Purpose: The State of Iowa requires serology and PCR testing for avian influenza prior to interstate movement from Wisconsin. WVDL is setting up special testing for Wisconsin poultry producers to facilitate this movement.
Iowa is currently requiring permits for poultry and poultry products from Wisconsin to Iowa and if there are any questions, they should contact Iowa.
Here is a link to their web site: http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/animalIndustry.asp
Test logistics at WVDL:
- Serology for antibody: WVDL has the NPIP-approved test for antibody (AGID). This test is performed at the Barron Laboratory ONLY, is a 24-hour test and is set up at 2pm Mon-Thurs.
- PCR for virus nucleic acid: WVDL has the NPIP-approved test for AI PCR. This test is performed at the Madison Laboratory ONLY and will be set up on Mon-Fri, once per day, as special runs during the required testing period.
a. Samples must be dropped off in Madison by 10am for same day results for movement of animals the following day (8AM) to fit the requirement of 24 hours from sampling of animals to shipment. Depending on location in Wisconsin, overnight UPS shipping may be allowed for PCR testing. This will increase time to maximum of 36 hours from sampling of birds to shipment and PRODUCERS MUST contact the Iowa State Veterinarian’s office for prior approval. Dr. David Schmitt (515) 281-8601.
b. Each PCR test (up to 11 swabs per test) will have an expedited testing fee added.
c. Please call ahead for testing so we can be prepared to accommodate your testing needs to the best of our ability.
d. Any NPIP-approved laboratory can be used for PCR testing. The Minnesota Veterinary Diagnostic lab is the next available option. Minnesota runs PCR Mon-Fri and samples must arrive by 8am.
1. Testing supplies can be ordered at www.wvdl.wisc.edu. Under the drop-down menu from “Submission Guidelines,” click on “Forms” and “Avian Swab Kit for PCR Order Form.”
b. Directly under the link to this form is a video that demonstrates swabbing birds.
i. NOTE: Testing has been updated since the production of this video and NPIP now allows up to 11 swabs per tube.
2. Shipping labels can be ordered and emailed for $7 overnight ground UPS. See our website for details: http://www.wvdl.wisc.edu/index.php/shipping-information/
3. Testing and shipping supply orders can be taken over the phone, by fax, or by emailing completed forms to email@example.com. See our website for phone and fax numbers.