The Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (WVDL) was established by 1999 Wisconsin Act 107 (1999 Senate Bill 358) which was enacted on 28 April 2000. With that Act, effective July 1, 2000, the Wisconsin Animal Health Laboratory was transferred from the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection to the University of Wisconsin System and renamed the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory.
Act 107 also states that WVDL will be governed by a board of directors, and stipulates the composition of the Board. The current board members are:
1. The secretary of agriculture, trade and consumer protection or designee:
- Mr. Ben Brancel, Secretary of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection
2. The chancellor of the University of Wisconsin – Madison or designee:
- Dr. Mark Markel, Dean, School of Veterinary Medicine, UW – Madison
3. The dean of the school of veterinary medicine or his or her designee:
- Dr. Charles Czuprynski, Professor, School of Veterinary Medicine, UW – Madison
4. A veterinarian employed by the federal government, to serve at the pleasure of the governor:
- Dr. Sherry Shaw, USDA/APHIS/VS Area Veterinarian In Charge for Wisconsin
5. Five other members representing persons served by the veterinary diagnostic laboratory appointed by the Governor to three-year terms, at least one of whom is a livestock producer, at least one of whom represents the animal agriculture industry and at least one of whom is a practicing veterinarian who is a member of the Wisconsin Veterinary Medical association:
- Ms. Alissa Grenawalt, 4-H & Youth Development Agent
- Dr. Ray Pawlisch, Veterinarian/Owner: Broadhead Veterinary
- Mr. Casey Davis, Cattle Procurement Manager, JBS USA
- Ms. Sandra Larson (Chairperson), Business Relations Manager, Larson Acres Inc.
- Dr. Jim Meronek (Vice Chairperson), Head Veterinarian ABS Global Inc.
6. The director of the veterinary diagnostic laboratory, who shall serve as a nonvoting member:
- Dr. Philip Bochsler, WVDL Director